Rich Lewis is unpacking the spiritual practice of centering prayer which he began eight years ago. Sitting in silence for up to 20 minutes at a time is a huge part of this practice. As you learn to surrender to the stillness, you open yourself up wholly to the presence of God and gain insight into tending your inner life.
This type of prayer practice was both life-giving and life-changing for Rich. He feels compelled to share it with those who want to learn more. No matter your faith or religion, you can engage in centering prayer sits to be more present in life and let go of what’s not important.
Rich Lewis has been a daily practitioner of centering prayer since June 1, 2014. He is an author and speaker who focused on centering prayer as a means of inner transformation. Through in-person or virtual classes and one-on-one coaching, he helps others who are new to this type of prayer create a long-term and sustainable practice. He is the author of Sitting with God: A Journey to Your True Self Through Centering Prayer.
Rich publishes weekly meditations, book reviews, and interviews on his site Silence Teaches.
“I think of Centering Prayer as both a practice and a relationship with God. With the use of our sacred word, we let go of the obstacles between us and God. Centering Prayer opens us to sitting in the pure presence of God without any obstacles. We sit with God and rest in the rest of God. We just be with Being.”
Resources We Mention
- How To Get Started with Centering Prayer
- Contemplative Outreach – a worldwide spiritual community of individuals and small faith groups committed to renewing the contemplative dimension of the Gospel in everyday life. The intent of Contemplative Outreach is to foster the process of transformation in Christ in one another through the practice of Centering Prayer
- Centering Prayer and Inner Awakening by Cynthia Bourgeault
- Be Still and Listen: Experience the Presence of God in Your Life by Amos Smith
- Healing the Divide: Recovering Christianity’s Mystic Roots by Amos Smith
- Befriending Silence: Discovering the Gifts of Cistercian Spirituality by Carl McColman
- Intimacy with God: An Introduction To Centering Prayer by Thomas Keating
- Open Mind, Open Heart (20th Anniversary Edition) by Thomas Keating
- The Loving Search for God: Contemplative Prayer and the Cloud of Unknowing by William Meninger
We recommend Bookshop, an online bookstore committed to strengthening the fragile ecosystem and margins around bookselling and keeping local bookstores an integral part of our culture and communities.
As an affiliate, Soul Care receives a 10% commission on every sale and independent bookstores receive a matching 10%. Bookshop wants to give back to everyone who promotes books, authors, and independent bookstores!
DID YOU ENJOY THE EPISODE?
Please drop a comment below or leave a review on iTunes or Spotify.
We value knowing what you think and this helps other east-central Illinois folks find the podcast as well.
And if you have any comments or questions, shoot us an email!