Life is full of opposition and contradiction and therein lies the humor and the beauty. In this episode, Kelly talks with Debra Joy Hart about navigating the peaceful times as well as the difficult times of life.
Debra shares her thoughts about connecting with the human and Divine in each of us. The importance of mindset and how to overcome when we feel like our truth has been denied. And the tension between joy and sadness that shows up in all parts of our lives.
Our conversation includes:
- Looking back on her life after turning 65 years old and her eclectic theology
- Turning away from God and then making a conscious decision to be in a relationship with God and having that affirmed
- Core tenents of Unity Church and Spiritual Center
- Why you shouldn’t be arguing for your limitations and what are denial prayers and abundance prayers
- What it means to experience spiritual gaslighting, how to unclutter your heart and live into being a true child of God
- Epigenetics and the theory of how past trauma is coded into your DNA
- The spiritual practice of Gratitude Cups
Debra Joy Hart is the Spiritual Administrator and part-time minister at Unity Church and Spiritual Center in Urbana, IL.
She has more than 30 years of hands-on nursing and teaching experience. Mixing her experience together with her skills as a Joyologist, a student of death and dying, and a minister, Deb is an award-winning national speaker. Her talks weave humor, laughter, science, and silliness into an unforgettable experience.
Deb wears many hats as a wife, mom, and grandma affectionately known as Bubbie. Inspired by her grandkids, she’s authored a children’s book ”Grandma D’s Bubbles: A Lesson in Life and Loss.”
For the past 23 years, Debra Joy and her alter ego “Daisy the Clown” have worked with a team to bring therapeutic humor and laughter programming to families affected by HIV/AIDS.
Deb was recognized in Spring 2021 with a Lifetime Achievement Award by the Association for Applied and Therapeutic Humor. She’s been a member of that association for more than 25 years. She has been a frequent presenter and workshop facilitator for the World Laughter Tour.
Visit Deb’s website – debrajoyhart.com. Follow her on Facebook. Check out her weekly live online chat Humor, Grace, and Grief co-hosted with LCSW Jill Johnson-Young
Debra Joy Hart is a Soul Care Partner who does regular classes around different aspects of humor, grief, intuition, and personal Energy/Aura Art Readings.
Resources We Mention:
- The Red Letter version of the Bible
- Emilie Cady
- TED Talk: That’s Not Funny! A 3-P practice for grief resilience with laughter and tears.
- Illusions: The Adventures of A Reluctant Messiah by Richard Bach
- Man’s Search for Meaning by Viktor Frankl
- Tapestry of a Soul: An Inspirational Journey Experiencing Emotions by Alzina Mayo
Want to buy one of the books mentioned above?
We recommend Bookshop, an online bookstore committed to keeping local bookstores an integral part of our culture and communities.
As an affiliate, Soul Care receives a 10% commission on every sale and independent bookstores receive a matching 10%.
Visit the Soul Care storefront on Bookshop
Join Deb at the upcoming workshop Tickle My Heart
Explore the sacred of silly!
Discover where your joy lives in the embodied practice of humor. Be more present with your body and heart. grow and make mistakes with grace. And connect with others in moments of joy, laughter, and silliness.
DID YOU ENJOY THIS EPISODE?
Please drop a comment below or leave a review on iTunes to let us know. We value knowing what you think. And this helps other east-central Illinois folks find the podcast as well.
- Sign up for the Soul Care Insider weekly email
- Follow Soul Care on Instagram @soulcare.experience or Facebook @soulcareexperience
- Join the Soul Care Book Group to read books about faith, religion, or spirituality and a monthly guided discussion.